Friday, December 28, 2007

Karma police

I am obsessive about putting my name on books and movies, because I don't want them to be borrowed and never returned. So every media I own is signed.

Since we've gotten engaged I've received or bought several movies and books, and on each I just wrote my name because after we're married (in 3 weeks and 1 day!!!) I'll just change it to include the last name (I know, tricksy and nerdy, but I'll explain).

I've learned I'm fairly superstitious about random things. Maybe superstitious isn't the right word, but I am all about karma. And I haven't written my new last name on anything because I'm not married yet and I don't want to irk the karma gods by using that name too soon.

You never cross karma. Never.

And so I now ask you: before you were married did you label things with your married name? Did you sign the return address on envelopes as your married couple name? Any other instance? (Because we all know we practiced our signatures with our new last names. And can I just say, my new last name is really hard to write in cursive and my signature looks lame. So it'll be a printed signature.)

10 comments:

Jess said...

You are so funny! I couldn't remember to write Gunn on anything. I'd start signing something and still write my maiden name. Especially signing a credit card slip. I had to mentally remember to sign it Gunn. It took me awhile to do it without thinking about it.

Meg said...

I totally agree with Jess--it took me forever to write Martindale on something. And really I don't label my stuff though in hindsight I wish that I had because I have lost alot of things from my days at college. Oh well, I don't think Karma will hurt you--suck it up and write Jensen on one thing and wait and see.

Unknown said...

I would love to say that you are funny and silly, but I am exactly the same way! Maybe it is a Peterson trait that lays dormant until you are engaged. I didn't write Smith on a single thing until I was married (although I practiced it all the time). I haven't ever accidentally used Peterson since we were married though. However, I understand what you are saying about Jensen looking lame (not that I think it's a lame name - I'm Smith for crying out loud). I still feel generic sometimes. There are days when I like to sign random names to things, like Ariane Hoffeflocken. It's nerdy, but so am I!

Sarah said...

I love this post! It might be one of my favorites. Sometimes I think I should be more worried about the karma gods but I'm really not. And while I understand this worry I think that you are close enough to becoming a Jensen that you are safe! :) As for me, I haven't even thought about practicing my signature as a McClean!

Dalton Family said...

Ha ha! You're so funny!!!

Rachel said...

I am lucky because my maiden name was Jett, and my new last name (when I married Todd's brother Dave) became Jensen; since I labeled everything with my initials RJJ, it works either way!

I have also found, however, that although when you are single it is essential that you label all of your belongings with your name on it (especially if you have roommates or are still living at home), when you are married it doesn't matter so much. If it were me, I would probably go ahead and switch to Jensen if there were things I wanted to label, to save the time of going back through all of them and adding the "sen." I am all for minimizing effort. ;o) I am also all for keeping things organized... you are a woman after my own heart, Jen!

Sweet blog, by the way!

Here's another fun one I found the other day that has REALLY yummy recipes! www.yourhomebasedmom.com

I think it would be fun to start a blog, too; how often is good to update a blog in order to not be "tacky"? ;o) I do have a couple of websites, but they are not in blog format.

Sorry my post is SO long!!!

Love ya

(from your sister-in-law-to-be)

Rachel said...

MAN I just typed the hugest comment, but then it got erased when I tried to figure out my log-in password... I'll have to type more later!

LOVE your blog, Jen... way fun!

Rachel said...

OOPS, I guess it did post. Thank goodness I didn't just try to type it all again. ;o)

Betsy Fowler said...

I agree. Never cross the Karma Gods (even be sure to capitalize "Karma" and "Gods")
I understand your mild superstitions as well, and have a few of my own (although they might just make me OCD) I'll spare you details.

I say stick w/ "Jen" until the 19th

Maggie said...

Jen, I probably wouldn't worry about labeling until someone wanted to borrow something, but you never know, people might just take it and then tell you later. It seems like that has happened quite a bit with Mom and Dad (and their movies). I used to label all my movies, probably because I was so excited to actually have some of my own, but have since stopped.

I don't remember if I used my married name before I got married. But the signature thing can be tricky to get used to. I have accidentally written my maiden name before; it's been a while though. But sometimes, I really have to try hard to spell my name right because I usually go by "Maggie" and write basically by printing, but I write "Margaret" in cursive for my signature. Yeah, it's weird.

The karma thing...I remember being with you all for a family photo shoot when Matt and I were engaged, but I wasn't allowed in the photo. It's probably good. One of my sisters must have crossed the karma gods because when her fiance was in our family photo shoot, they later broke up. She's married to someone else now. I also recall Mom getting me a set of scriptures for Christmas when Matt and I were engaged. And she didn't have my name engraven on them, because it was too soon to use "Ripplinger". She, like you, did/does not want to cross the karma gods! :)And it must have worked because Matt and I are still together. :)