Monday, April 20, 2009

What to Expect

When I'm Expecting.

Since becoming pregnant (yup! I'm 10 weeks along) I've compiled my own list of what to expect when you're expecting (I know lots of these things everyone has, but they've still amazed me).

1. I have major food aversion. To the saddest things. Like chicken, and red sauces, and sometimes hamburger, and Mexican food. BUT I love carbs.
1a. Food aversion is so much better than nausea, so I'm actually thankful that's all it is.
2. 100 calorie CheeseNips have been the best thing ever. I eat a pack a day.
3. I don't sleep through the night any more, and it's so sad.
4. I now love to drink milk, not just pour it over my cereal.
5. My dreams are more abnormal than usual, and I woke poor Todd up one night because I was convinced a fist-sized spider was hanging from my bedside lamp.
6. I am super emotional (I know . . . duh).
7. I am randomly tired.
8. I am a total pansy on the treadmill now. Add to that the fact carbs are the few things that don't anger my stomach, and we have a bad combination.
9. Pregnancy gives me reasons to shop, and that is bad.
10. I am constantly worried about my belly. I'm sure this is the same for every pregnant woman, but it blows my mind how protective I have become.
11. I try to eat balanced meals. I feel like such an adult. I hate veggies.
12. I read, and marked, a Consumer Reports book about baby items. And I loved it.
13. I get stroller envy.
14. I already have a belly (see #8) and it's embarrassing that most of it is fat, not baby. It's more like a gut.
15. I use Palmer's cocoa butter religiously. I don't know if it'll help, but thus far the placebo effect is fantastic.

And last but not least, we're so excited!

33 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah!!! Congrats!! So exciting!!! I'm 14 weeks, not too far ahead!!! It's so fun :)

Kerstin said...

Congrats!!! This is very exciting news! Your list cracks me up.

Andrea said...

Jen...SO exciting! Congrats to you both! Being a mother is the BEST! you will love it! the 2nd trimester gets better...I promise! The 3rd is a little rough! Keep us posted!

Tiffany said...

Ummm...WHAT the WHAT?? Wow. Nice way to just slide in the news. Congrats!!! I look forward to the many a blog that will be coming in the next 9 months. You will find, and maybe you already have, that you will become overly obsessed with all things baby and pregnancy related. You will notice babies, children and pregnant women so much more now! The first one is so fun!

Jessie said...

Big congrats to you and your hubby! I agree with most of your list except the balanced meal. I mean this is the time that I can eat left over Easter candy for breakfast and my husband can't say anything! Hope you are feeling well!

April said...

What the??? Congratulations! I am so so excited for you! I too love your list! I remember those crazy food days...they will just get more fun. I remember I made Hyun order a ton of pizza because I just had to have it and then as soon as it showed up I wanted it out of the house because I could not stand the smell. :)

Anyway, keep us updated! I am so excited for you! You will be an awesome mom! And I don't count on getting many more full nights of sleep, but pregnancy naps are great!

Meg said...

I will add to the list of congratulators. How exciting. And it is much better to have food aversions than nausea. I didn't like hamburger with my first and chicken with my second and this one I like everything especially carbs and chocolate. not a great mix. Especially with weigh ins and crap. But as far as having a belly it could just be bloating. I did that at the beginning and was all ticked that I already looked pregnant but then it went away. How exciting. Any preference as to what you want? And I found Palmers did nothing for me but then again I only got stretch marks on my boobs and a little on my thighs. And I agree with Jessie balanced meals are so overrated.

Jen said...

Ü I love all the advice and commiseration! It's so fun. I recently have started to count jelly beans as my fruit intake--Jolly Ranchers are made with fruit, right????

The Davis' said...

YAY!!! Congratulations Jen and Todd!!
I had to force myself to eat at first when I was pregnant with my first one, my appetite totally disappeared. Which was nice as far as weight goes but not so much for the baby. It didn't last for long though :) It's so amazing how your body and mind change almost instantly when you become pregnant! Congrats!

Jenae said...

"Yeah, things are normal around here. Work's good, saw a funny movie, I'm prego, we went--" Dude, how uber casual are you?! I am so excited for you guys! You get Hawaii, great renters, AND a baby? So jealous.

jj

The Hills said...

woooohoooo! That is so great! I can empathize with the weird dreams blending into reality. I woke up several nights absolutely positive that someone had broken into our house and I had hear them jiggling the door handle and could hear them banging around in the kitchen. A couple times I made Rob get out of bed and check. After seeing "The Dark Knight" I kept having dreams that the Joker was trying to kill me and I just kept shouting "you can't kill me I'm pregnant!" Crazy how your brain switches modes!

Lara said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so excited for you guys!! Yeah, being prego can have it's hard times, but once you start feeling the little one moving inside you, you will LOVE it!

Unknown said...

WHAT!?!?!! I'm so excited for you and Todd. Your list cracked me up. I think every pregnant woman is that way. I was a total wuss on the treadmill when I was pregnant the first time too. The best advice I can give you is keep on treading. I have been more and more in shape with each pregnancy and the difference in my deliveries has been noticable and I totally attribute it to my level of fitness. (It also makes taking the baby weight off easier - because as cute as pregnant bellies are, post pregnant bellies aren't quite as cute. Sad.) Congrats again - I can't wait to see pictures of your cute pregnant belly!

The Bames said...

HURRAY! I am so excited for you both!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That is so exciting.

Tiffany said...

PS-I practically bathed in Palmer's and still looked like I was attacked by a tiger. Terrible. But everyone is different! So here's hoping it helps you!!!

The Ortega Family said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the best part of your life! Jen, this is awesome! I am so excited for you guys! If you ever need anything, lotion, late night ice cream snack, pickles....you know, whatever. Dont hesitate to call your old pal Boo!

Rachel said...

WOHOO!!!!!! I'm SOOOO excited for you and Todd!!! While food aversions aren't fun (especially if you're like me and like to eat), I'm glad you haven't been sick - that's way worse. I just used regular old lotion and didn't get stretch marks... which is saying quite a bit since my kid didn't have much room to grown but out. :) So keep it up.:) The first few months are crummy because you don't look pregnant, just chubby. I HATED that. At least you're still getting on the treadmill. That's awesome. I was so tired after school I crashed on the couch and didn't often get up until Jeremy got home.
Now that you're pregnant, and people know, you are going to get a million pieces of advice and stories about pregnancy and remidies and labor and kids, etc, etc, etc. Just smile; one day you'll be doing the same thing. :)
I am super excited for you! Can't wait to see you guys!

Dalton Family said...

YAY!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!! You will be such a great mom! And how fun to have your baby so close to Lindsay! I too used cocoa butter with my first baby.....by the time I had others, I was much too lazy to use it! I do remember it smelling really yummy! Can't wait for more details!

Jessica B Photography said...

Aaaaaawww! Yay. I am so glad the Jensens are having a baby!! Too bad you are moving to Hawaii. Read this book: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. It's amazing. Did you get my email about Chris's birthday this Friday? It's a surprise so don't reply as a comment, reply as a straight email to me.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Only 1 pack of cheese nips a day? I have wacky dreams too, when I am prego, so real. Sometimes I wake up really mad at Greg, poor guy. I still get stroller envy. They have some really cool ones out there.

janelle said...

Let's get the scrapbook ready!! Aloha, baby Jensen!! :) Congratulations!!

Linda said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. I just wish you weren't leaving us...You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted!

Maggie said...

Yea! Now that you've officially heard the heartbeat, the news is out! Congratulations, again :) We are so excited for you, two! We love you. And the list is pretty good. I can relate.

Britty said...

Hooray!!! Welcome to the club, sista! It's quite a ride. Name a body part, and something about it will change in the next 10 (no, not 9) months. It's so exciting though. Enjoy this first baby of yours!

Foxs said...

CONGRATS!!! I am sooo excited for you! So, maybe we can squeeze in one more pp dinner before you move away?!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen! Russ and I are so happy for you guys! I meant to talk to you on Sunday, but I got sidetracked during all the excitement.

- Antonia

Jess said...

Jen I really am so exited for you! I'll be excited to hear if it is a boy or girl!! You'll be a wonderful mom!!!

Amy said...

congratulations!!! I should have used the cocoa butter..... it won't hurt to try it!!!! We are happy for you!!

Jessica B Photography said...

Ah, boo on those magazines & the media anyways. Everybody is different. However I would say 30 is a healthy number (give or take 5 pound either way). I wouldn't want to go less than 20 or more than 50, but sometimes things happen and you just can't help it. If the baby is about 8 pounds, the placenta 3 or 4, plus an increase in blood volume, milk production, and "maternal fat stores" and you've got 25 easy. It's those maternal fat stores that kills everybody. Just reach for an apple when you get the munchies instead of.... potato chips or french fries (yum, salty fried potatoes!!!) At least you've got a most excellent wieght loss program on the day of the birth. Who else can loose 12 pounds in one day???

Andrea said...

Jen, I was also going to mention that I believe the stretch marks are often just heredity. If your mom and sisters got/get them then you might too!

My mom didn't get any and I happen to be really lucky with my first and didn't end up with any. However, we will see about the next when it happens!

I do know that they say vitamin B helps with preventing them too! But, if you decide to take vitamin B then don't take them with your prenatal pill because it does cancel out one of the vitamins in the prenatal (can't remember which one)...take them 8 hours apart!

Zach and Nikki said...

I know I'm way behind everyone else here but CONGRATS! What's really cool is that you don't have nausea! What a great start!

Sarah said...

I've heard the good news around town but here's my offical "CONGRATS!!!!"