Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A book for religion buffs, sports fanatics, and fans of Rudy-esque triumphs

I just read a great autobiography, Longshot: The Adventures of a Deaf Fundamentalist Mormon Kid and His Journey to the NBA.

Lance grew up in a polygamous society and tells the story of his family fleeing from the cultish crazies. He gives a fascinating insight into that lifestyle.

He's deaf, and it's surprisingly hilarious to read him talk about trying to communicate with a hearing world, and it's heartbreaking to read how others relate to him.

Lance started playing basketball late in junior high, and it tells the story of him playing for the University of Utah, then Weber State, then struggling to enter the NBA through playing in Europe. If you're at all fascinated by that journey, or your spouse is, that part is very interesting. As one critic said, you'll never look the same way at the guys sitting on the NBA benches.

The following are reasons to read the book:
  • The stories about polygamy and its societal effects are fascinating. This is a world its leaders carefully conceal, but we get to catch a glimpse.

  • If you've ever wanted a legitimate reason to dislike Rick Majerus, this is it.

  • Lance seamlessly throws in arguments against communism, argues that if you use the F word extensively you need to expand your vocabulary, and discusses the history of Europe . . . mostly in footnotes and asides, and it's great. He's brilliant, which is especially surprising for an athlete.

  • His story of persistence will motivate anyone.

  • He's my cousin, so I have a personal interest in cheering for his success, on and off the court.

12 comments:

Maggie said...

I want to read it.

Andrea said...

He's your cousin? OK...now I REALLY want to read it! Not that I didn't before. I LOVE books like this! I am going to go get it SOON!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to check it out!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Interesting book. Of course I'd like the part about Europe. I know several guys out here who play basketball for German teams. I will see if I can get a copy. Although, I have only read one book since Taylor was born. :(

Jessie said...

You captured my husband's attention with the word basketball! I think he has already ebayed it. I would like to read it too for the deaf aspect. I studied deaf culture in college and always found it interesting what deaf think of the hearing world. Thanks for the recommendation!

Whitney said...

I didn't realize it was out! I will definitely get myself a copy (I read the first pages on Amazon and liked it a lot).

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

I'm glad you loved it. I'd read it just because Lance wrote it and I love the way his mind works. And He loves Sadie. Maybe dad wull even read it....

Linda said...

Sounds like a really good book. I'll have to see if they have it at the BC Library. Ya think?

Sarah said...

Thanks! I love your book suggestions.

Britty said...

Hey - I have been meaning to get back to you about the diaper bag. It's called the Babymel Amanda diaper bag in black/white floral. It's about $88. There are lots of online stores that sell it, it just won't be available for a few more weeks.

I'm not jealous at all that you're living in paradise in a cute little place. Lucky!

Maggie said...

Started it; it's very interesting.

Maggie said...

Finished it. I got to know Lance better. It's amazing to me that he kept going through all that crazy stuff! When we have God in our lives, all things are possible, right!