We went to Waikiki and saw a turtle! It's the first time I've seen one, and we were all quite excited to see it. 

We got to go to Pearl Harbor, and we found the name of my great-uncle who died on the USS Snook. I hadn't realized I had a relative whose name was involved with the Pearl Harbor memorial.

We went on a movie sites tour at Kualoa Ranch. Todd and I stumbled on a pamphlet for this place and only noticed it because it said Lost is filmed there. And because we're superdorks, that drew us in. The ranch is on the way to North Shore, so we've passed it several times. It's at the foot of one of my favorite views on the island, the Ko'olau Range, which is stunning.
They filmed parts of Jurassic Park there--in the picture below, imagine a flock of dinosaurs chasing the doctor and the two kids down the hill.
They also filmed Godzilla and several other movies there. AND, this location is where Hurley golfed in Lost. And where he ran down the hill with the VW van. If you're lucky you can catch them filming Lost during the tour. We were not so fortunate, though it's still an amazingly beautiful location.
We went to the big island for the weekend and were fortunate to stay in a military camp located inside the Volcanoes National Park. We went through a lighted lava tube and then through the dark flashlights-only tube. That part was really neat. (The end of the tube is just a wall, so you have to double back, but apparently it's also a good place for locals to smoke pot. The end of that hike for us was very . . . herbal.) 
We saw where the lava flows into the ocean. The plume of steam is so cool.

As it got darker, we also got to watch the fireworks as the spouts of lava became visible as they hit the ocean. It was spectacular.
9 comments:
What fun adventures you guys had!! That is cool they were there for the ultrasound. I bet mom was super excited- what song does she sing to your belly??? :O Did you call the lava magma? I hope you did.
SO FUN!! Hmm... after that flashlight tube tour maybe the baby's name should be "Flower" or "Rainbow". :) Looks like you're having a great time. And how wonderful you got to have family come and visit already!
That looks amazing! What great things to be able to see! I love that your family was there for the ultrasound.
Oh man, I love LOST. That tour would have been so much fun. I would imagine that you will get your fair share of visitors while you're there. It's quite the ideal visiting place!
Visitors are great. My sister is here now. It helps to live in a cool place.
We loved being there; you guys are such fun and accomodating hosts. I loved the different shades of gray and white in the plume of steam/smoke from the volcano--so beautiful! Thanks for the good time. So if anyone else is thinking of going there, do it before Baby Pink is born so they can spoil you!!!
Hawaii is beautiful! I had so much fun there. I got to see a gecko! Though it didn't fall out of the curtain, luckily.
How Fun!
Holy cow. You are so lucky!
sarah m.
Post a Comment