Saturday, July 4, 2009

It's tough to be a bug

Just so you don't think our Hawaii adventure is all about the beach, I'll tell you about our first real, nasty bug experience (note to the cosmos--thank you this isn't about the rumored centipedes). This morning Todd went to the hardware store to get me a flag hanger (yea!). This is what he found on our gate, right below the latch you have to touch with your unsuspecting skin.

We did an "after" shot of the nickel to show you how big this thing is. Well, was.

I know it's not a thick desert spider of nastiness, and that it doesn't have a red hourglass, but still. Look at it! And apparently in all my worrying about ginormous stinging centipedes and flying cockroaches I forgot there might actually be abnormally large spiders here too. I was thinking maybe spiders are like how snakes aren't supposed to be on an island.

So after taking the above picture, Todd ran into the house to get (1) Raid* and (2) his combat boots. Because, seriously, who's going to step on that thing with flip flops? He sprayed it with Raid and it JUMPED and ran away, quickly. Jumped! Good thing he had boots. Then he tried to step on it and it was too fast. Eeew! Apparently it just ran about a foot away then stopped. Probably taunting him.

Luckily the second attempt at stepping on it worked. He sprayed it again, just in case, and sprayed a circle around it, which is always a good idea. Then he sprayed the gate lock. Then he woke me up. Probably so I could take a Bone Collector picture.

This is a nickel, but still! Look how big it is, even smooshed and drenched in Raid.

And here's my hero. Combat boots and all. They come in handy even on his day off.

* Yes, when I move into a new place I buy food, cleaning supplies, and a can of Raid. You must always have a can of Raid. Maybe even before you have food.

7 comments:

April said...

I am so glad you have Todd! Way to go Todd! and Yea for combat boots and raid! Nasty spider!

SaMama said...

Ewww! Spiders are all sorts of nastiness, even when they're not hairy desert ones.

Yay for Todd for saving you BEFORE waking you up to let you know the nightmare that was on the gate.

I totally have a horror movie theme song (Psycho shower scene music) playing in my head now, thinking of you walking up to the gate all unsuspecting... ew.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I just killed the biggest spider I ever saw last night. Greg was already in bed and I knew it was up to me. It was about 2 inches in diameter. It took me about 10 minutes to get the guts up to do the deed. The remains are still downstairs. It better not have had babies already.

Whitney said...

That is absolutely disgusting. My apologies. Apparently EVERYONE loves an exotic beach location.

Anonymous said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuucky!!! I absolutely hate nasty giant spiders! And here I thought Hawaii was all sunshine and sand!

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

Wow. Is it even legal for Hawaii to have spiders? Maybe that is why the armed forces are there (lots of army boots!). You may have to carry a purse-size Raid everywhere you go for such places as gate handles.

Anonymous said...

That's gross. In the Pioneer Cemetery in Nauvoo, there is this gazeebo thing that has lists of all the pioneers that died in Nauvoo or something. Also in this gazeebo were ginormous daddy long legs. One was as big as my palm, but they're just skinny, so I wasn't scared-- Until I saw a thick, brown spider on the wall just about the same size!!!! EEEEEWWWW! Spiders are nasty. A universally nasty creature. We are all connected through spiders.