Also, we've updated the baby blog to include pictures of her in her First Hospital Visit. She had jaundice and spent Monday night in the hospital and 24 hours under the lights. Which she loved. She looked like Johnny Depp Willy Wonka with the light shield sunglasses.
Without further adieu . . ..
Throughout the pregnancy, I had high blood pressure. Sometimes over the limit, but usually just below the "normal" threshold. Because of this, the doctor wanted me to get my blood pressure checked between my next appointment, which was in two weeks.
The day I was planning to get it checked I woke up at about 6:30 with a lot of pain in my lower belly. The pain was constant, seemed localized, and didn't come in waves. It didn't feel like what people say are contractions, so I was quite concerned. After waiting an hour I called L&D triage and spoke to a nurse who suggested things I could do to alleviate the pain, and who said I could call back if I didn't feel better. I did start to feel better, and at about 9:30 I went to Tripler Army Medical Center, where I'd been receiving my care, to get my blood pressure checked.
When I arrived at the OB clinic, I was told I needed to go to L&D to get my blood pressure checked because I was so far along (37 weeks). I was quite relieved to be sent there, because I was still concerned about the pain I'd felt. In L&D they wanted to monitor me every 10 minutes for 30 minutes, so they put me in a room and also attached a baby and uterus monitor. So I sat and read my book while waiting for the tests to end and being comforted by the sounds of her heart.
After about 20 minutes, a doctor came in (before I'd just dealt with nurses).
Doctor: "Did you know you're having fairly regular contractions?"
Jen: "Oh THAT's what those are?!"
Jen: "Oh THAT's what those are?!"
I then told her I passed a kidney stone in June without any pain medication (because really, pregnancy-safe Tylenol hardly counts as a pain medication) and I apparently have a high tolerance for pain. Throughout the night the doctor kept mentioning my pain tolerance and how she'd bragged about me to other docs.
The doctor then did an exam, and I was 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. So they admitted me as being in active labor. All I had wanted was my blood pressure checked. :) Todd was working in General Surgery that day, so they sent him the following page: "hey Tod wanted to let you know that your wife has been admitted to lnd in labor, cervix 3-4/80/-1. She is also being ruled out for preeclampsia."
Despite the hilariously-late-placed and dire "preeclampsia", everything was ok. Though Todd didn't know that. This page was definitely a good Hall Pass for him.
I was admitted at about noon, and was in a remarkably low amount of pain; just discomfort. For me, the contractions felt like the baby was settling, maybe sticking her limbs too far out. I'd been having that feeling on and off for a couple weeks. It's good to know that's what my contractions feel like.
That gave Todd time to drive home and get the hospital bag I'd luckily packed early, the camera, and a bunch of other things we'd need. He was gone about an hour and a half, and when he got back the doctor broke my water.
Ah. Now these are the contractions people talk about. The pain was horrible, and the anesthesiologist was promptly summoned. I'm sure she arrived quickly, but it felt like she took forever. The contractions were insanely painful, and I definitely had the desire to push. The anesthesiologist gave me the epidural, and it took about 15 minutes to take effect. About 30 minutes later it was time for me to push. Luckily I was numb at that point. Numb and happier. A short time later she was born. She was beautiful. I asked the nurses not to put the drops in her eyes until the last possible moment, so she stayed in my arms or near Todd, staring at us. It was great.
11 comments:
I, for one, absolutely LOVE birth stories. You were freakin' me out at the beginning when you said that it didn't hurt. I was about ready to make you promise to be a surrogate for the rest of my babies. But really, it sounds like you did almost all of it without an epidural anyway. Amazing. I am a wus and am absolutely convinced that I was born in this day and age (the epidural age) so that I would be okay with having babies. Love the story. Thanks for sharing!
I love birth stories too! And what a great one you have!
I love the story too! You are a strong woman! I am so glad you have little Nadine. She is so sweet ( I know I haven't met her yet, but I imagine her to be the sweetest little girl...after Addy of course. :) )
Of course we want to read your story. It is therapy for you and well as for us, who have had babies. I told me story for months afterwards.
Jen - I was SO ready for you to say you made it through without the pain meds! Glad I am not the only one who thought the pain was untolerable!! I have to say that being induced and not having natural labor was pretty miserable from the beginning. I only made it through the first 8 hours and then I was DONE!! Congrats again on such a BEAUTIFUL little baby! Enjoy!
I love the story - amazing! Thanks for sharing!
I love to hear people's stories. It's always fascinating to me to see how things work out. Now that you have experienced the L&D process, just watch, the next time it will be totally different! So glad everything went as smooth as it did. Epidurals are great! When do we get to meet Nadine?!
What a miraculous, wondrous experience. I'm so happy all is well with you and Nadine!
Thanks for sharing. You're wonderful! Nadine is one lucky baby to have you and Todd!
Thanks for adding the story. You are so brave! Giving birth seems like the scariest thing on earth to me, BRAVO for getting through it with so much strength!
What a cute story!
Post a Comment