Friday I went to the Social Security office to change my name. I love how my area is one of only three areas in the United States where you have to go to the office to do this--everywhere else you just mail in the information. LAME. The federal government is so useful.
And the office is far away and not close to anything, including freeways. And happiness.
So I got there and was given number 619; they were serving number 427 or so. Luckily I had just come from a business trip so I had a book. I hunkered down and waited an hour.
I would randomly chat with the woman next to me, who was there registering her baby (registering babies, in a "free" country. Sheesh.); I told her how cute the baby was, we talked about hospitals and marriage, our places in line, etc. She was number 551, so as that number got closer I kept congratulating her.
As she got up to leave because her number had been called, she tossed something onto my lap. "I didn't want to miss my number," she said, "so I took two just in case." I looked down and there, smiling at me (if paper could smile), was 552. The next number.
How awesome is she?! I thought that was the coolest thing, and it made my day. And saved me probably an hour and a half.
So yeah, my Social Security office friend rocks.
P.S. I promise to post wedding pictures by the weekend. Promise.
7 comments:
That was so nice. Things like that always make my day. It reminds me that people are basically good.
Hey Jen,
I got your comment on my blog- thanks! Now's my chance to say CONGRATULATIONS! Marriage is a very good thing. About the SS - I thought the same thing about it when I had to go change mine- way too far away and way too long of a wait. That was an incredibly nice thing for that lady to do, I'll have to remember that trick in the future.
Great trick huh. I think I'm going to do that next time I go somewhere and get an automated number. Which I hope isn't often.
I love it when stuff like that happens! It makes you want to be nice too. I'll be waiting for your wedding pics!
I love this story! What a nice lady! It pays to be nice to the people suffering right along with you! When it's my turn to go sit at the SS office I will do the same thing! Love it!!!
That is such a nice story. It totally makes my day when things like that happen. I can't even imagine having such a high number. I just got back from a girls weekend in Vegas. My mom took my sister and I had a blast. We never moved away from the strip--wow what a truly eye opening place to hang out at. When are the wedding pictures coming?
What a wonderful idea! And what a wonderful surprise for you! I like nice people.
Post a Comment